Caring for Fresh Berries
Taking them Home
- Blueberries are perishable and need to be handled gently.
- Protect the berries from sunlight, especially in your car.
- Take them straight home. Do not leave them in a hot car.
- Fresh blueberries should be refrigerated.
- They should be consumed within 10 – 14 days after harvesting.
- Rinse and drain just before consuming them. You don’t want to wash off their protective coating until ready to use/eat.
- Do not wash blueberries before freezing.
- Spread them on a cookie sheet or shallow roasting pan and place them in the freezer until hard: about an hour.
- Place frozen berries in freezer bags or containers and place in freezer.
- Freezer life is one year.
- The secret to freezing blueberries is the berries need to be completely dry before freezing
- add to yogurt: especially plain or vanilla
- in smoothies
- add to ice cream
- add to cereal
- in fruit salads
- mix with cottage cheese
- alternate blueberries with vanilla pudding to make a parfait
- just eat them like candy